Friday 25 July 2014

New Eden: Memorials

Floating just off the gate of the jump gate are anchored cans and some mobile depots.

Just as in my youth, the same messages were left by other pilgrims to the clusters greatest landmark.

And why not? The Eve Gate is the closest thing we have to a shrine in New Eden, or at least one that's sacred to capsuleers. making the pilgrimage out to the dead-end system, with one sad solitary, barren planet, is something that most, if not all capsuleers do.

I'd like to think that these are some of the few in-sight containers that don't become inevitable targets, and that they are sacred enough to run the full course of decayed orbit. I like to think that when the anchor finally does run out, they begin to fall towards the Gate itself, to be torn up or pass through to whatever divine realms lie beyond.

Either way, the types of message left haven't changed since I came the last time.

Yes, the usual interstellar graffiti is here. Whoever Talon Kalos was, he was definitely there at some point. Proclamations of affection for a girl named Lauren, publicized for all to see.

But there are also a number of stories here, left spinning in space for those to find.

The top of my overview shows a message to Vile Rat. That's a Goon tale, and one that deserves telling. I was surprised to see it there, along with the other messages to capsuleers passed. It was humbling, to say the least.

I'm not sure why I wanted to write about them. I guess I just wanted to let the people who left them know, that their messages were seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment